Natural Building Techniques Bibliography
This is not intended to be a comprehensive bibliography.
Rather, this is a citation of references for the preceding article
written by Joseph F. Kennedy, M.Arch., M.A. in 1996.
· Blue Evening Star, Tipis & Yurts: Authentic Designs for Circular Shelters, 1995.
· Bourgeois, Jean-Louis and Carollee Pelos, Spectacular Vernacular: The Adobe Tradition, Aperture, New York, 1989.
· Center for Resourceful Building Technology, A Reference Guide to Resource Efficient Building Elements (GREBE), 5th Edition, Missoula, Montana, 1995.
· Cob Cottage Company, Earth Building and the Cob Revival: a Reader, Cottage Grove, Oregon, 3rd Edition, 1996.
· Day, Christopher, Places of the Soul: Architecture and Environmental Design as a Healing Art, 1993.
· Easton, David, The Rammed Earth House, Real Goods/Chelsea Green Publishing, White River Junction, VT, 1996.
· Fathy, Hassan, Architecture for The Poor, University of Chicago, 1986.
· Hall, Nicolas, Thatching: A Handbook, Intermediate Technologies Publications, London, 1988.
· Houben, H., and H. Guillaud, Earth Construction: A Comprehensive Guide, Intermediate Technology Publications, London, 1994.
· Howard, Ted, Mud and Man: A History of Earth Buildings in Australasia, Earthbuild Publications, Melbourne, Australia, 1992.
· Janssen, Jules J.A., Building with Bamboo: A Handbook - Second Edition, Intermediate Technologies Publications, London, 1995.
· Khalili, Nader, Ceramic Houses and Earth Architecture, Burning Gate Press, 1991.
· Klein, Kirsten and Inger Klingenberg, Recollection and Change: Examples of Ecological Architecture in Northern Europe 1975-95, Blaa Gaard, Denmark, 1995.
· Lanning, Bob, Straw Bale Portfolio: A Collection of Sixteen Designs for Straw Bale Houses, 1996.
· Laporte, Robert, Mooseprints: A Holistic Home Building Guide, Natural House Building Company, Santa Fe, 1993.
· LeClair, Kim and David Rousseau, Environmental By Design: A Sourcebook of Environmentally Aware Material Choices, Hartley & Marks, 1992.
· McClintock, Mike, Alternative Housebuilding, Popular Science, New York, 1984.
· MacDonald, S.O. and Matts Myhrman, Build It With Bales - A Step-by-Step Guide to Straw Bale Construction, Out on Bale, Tucson, Arizona, 1995.
· McHenry, Paul G., Adobe: Build it Yourself, University of Arizona Press, 1985.
· ______________, Adobe and Rammed Earth Buildings: Design and Construction, University of Arizona Press, Tucson, 1987.
· Merrill, Robert, Hybrid Construction: The Art of Building with Recycled and Indigenous Materials, Lost Valley Publishing Company, Dexter, Oregon, 1994.
· Nabokov, Peter and Robert Easton, Native American Architecture, Oxford University Press, 1989.
· Oliver, Paul, Dwellings: The House Across the World, University of Texas, Austin, 1987.
· Pearson, David, Earth To Spirit: In Search of Natural Architecture, Chronicle Books, San Francisco, 1994.
· ____________, The Natural House Book, Simon and Schuster, New York, 1989.
· Reynolds, Michael, Earthship (Vols. I, II, and III), Solar Survival Press, Taos, NM.
· Rudofsky, Bernard, Architecture Without Architects, University of New Mexico Press, 1987.
· Schaeffer, John and staff, The Solar Living Sourcebook: A Complete Guide to Renewable Energy Technologies and Sustainable Living, 1996.
· Shelter, Shelter Publications, 1973.
· Steen, Bill and Athena, and David Bainbridge, The Straw Bale House, Chelsea Green Publishing, White River Junction, VT, 1994.
· Stulz, Roland and Kiran Mukerji, Appropriate Building Materials, Intermediate Technology Publications, London, 1993.
· Thompson, Kim et al, Straw Bale Construction: A Manual for Maritime Regions, Straw House Herbals, Ship Harbour, Nova Scotia, nd.
· Tibbetts, Joseph M., The Earthbuilders Encyclopedia, Southwest Solaradobe School, 1989.
· Williams-Ellis, Clough and C. Eastwick-Field, Building in Cob, Pise and Stabilized Earth, Country Life Limited, London, 1919.
· Wright, Frank Lloyd, The Natural House, Horizon Press, 1954.
· Back Home Magazine, POB 370-HP, Mountain Home, NC 28758
· Building With Nature, P.O.Box 369, Gualala, CA 95445
· EcoBuilding Times, Northwest EcoBuilding Guild, 217 Ninth Ave., North, Seattle, WA 98109
· EcoDesign, POB 3981, Main Post Office, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 3Z4
· Environmental Building News, RR1, Box 161, Brattleboro, VT 05301-9033
· Fine Homebuilding, Taunton Press, 63 S. Main St., P.O.Box 5506, Newtown, CT 06470
· Joiners Quarterly, P.O. Box 249, Snowfield Rd. Brownfield, Maine.
· The Last Straw, P.O. Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706; ph 402-483-5135; http://www.thelaststraw.org
· Building With Straw video series - Vol. 1, A Straw Bale Workshop; Vol. 2, A Straw Bale Home Tour; Vol. 3, Straw Bale Code Testing, Black Range Films, Kingston, New Mexico, 1994-1996.
· Creating Healing Environments for Holistic Living, Natural House Building Center, Santa Fe, 1996.
· How to Build Your Elegant Home With Straw Bales, Steve Kemble, Sustainable Systems Support, Bisbee, AZ, 1996.
· The Rammed Earth Renaissance, Lyceum Productions, Napa, CA, 1996.
· ArchiBio (ecological housing, incl. living roofs) 1267 Chemin Lac Deliguy, Ouest, Mandeville, Quebec, Canada, JOK 1LO
· Architecture Resources (architecture related news, books and web resources) http://utyx.com/architecture/
· Natural Building Resources (videos and books on natural building) Star Rt. 2, Box 119, Kingston, NM 88042. (505) 895-3389, fax (505) 895-3326
· California Institute of Earth Art and Architecture (information and workshops on earthbag construction) 10177 Baldy Lane, Hesperia, CA, 92345. (619) 956-7533
· CRATerre - International Centre for Earth Construction (education and research on all earthbuilding techniques) Ecole dArchitecture de Grenoble, Maison Levrat, BP 53, F-38092, Villefontaine Cedex, France. (33) 74 95 43 91
· The Cob Cottage Company (cob resources and workshops) Box 123, Cottage Grove, OR 97424. (541) 942-2005, fax (541-3021)
· Development Center for Appropriate Technology (consulting, education, research and testing) 2702 E. Seneca, Tucson, AZ 85716. (520) 624-6628
· Fox Maple School of Traditional Building (timber frame and other natural building techniques) P.O. Box 249, Brownfield, ME 04010. (207) 935-3720, fax (207) 935-4575
· Gourmet Adobe (natural plasters and finishes) Carole Crews, HC 78 Box 9811, Rancho de Taos, NM 87557. (505) 758-7251
· Natural House Building Center (straw-clay, timber frame, earth floors, natural plasters) Robert Laporte, 2300 W. Alameda A5, Santa Fe, NM 87501. (505) 471-5314
· Out on Bale, (Un)Ltd (straw bale information)1037 E. Linden, Tucson, AZ 85719
· Rammed Earth Works (design, construction and information) David Easton, Napa, CA
· Solar Survival Architects (earthships) P.O. Box 1041, Taos, NM 87571
· Wood Reduction Clearinghouse (also alternative fibers) 116 New Montgomery, Ste 800, San Francisco, CA 94105. (415) 896-1580